Sunday, April 16, 2006

The Day I Talk About Pseudo-Vegetarianism

Vegetarianism is the practice of not eating meat, including beef, poultry, fish, or their by-products, with or without the use of dairy products or eggs. The exclusion may also extend to products derived from animal carcasses, such as lard, gelatin etc.

Some people choose to be vegetarians because of religious and spiritual reasons; others don't eat meat because they love animals too much to eat them; there are also people who choose to be vegetarian due to health reasons (allergies to certain meats and/or meat by-products); however, some people are vegetarians are vegetarians because they say that they don't like the taste of meat.

Or so they say.

You see, I have a friend who's one of the latter vegetarians and she eat's fake meat. Now, fake meat is made to taste like real meat with chemicals and additives and what-not they add into the flour so if you don't like the taste of meat, why eat fake meat?

Here's a scenario that happened yesterday:

Meat-hater and I were at a vegetarian stall yesterday for lunch. Seeing that she bought all the fake meats to go with her bee hoon, I was curious so I decided to ask her about it.

Me: I thought you didn't like the taste of meat?
Meat-hater: I don't. Why?
Me: Then why did you buy all the fake meat to go with your bee hoon?
Meat-hater: It's vegetarian ma. And it's nice what...
Me: But doesn't it taste like real meat?
Meat-hater: ... (and she shakes her head and starts to walk towards the tables)
Me: Oei...

I'm perpetually confused by people like her. Do they say that they're vegetarians just to be cool, but are actually closet meat-lovers? If so, what's so cool about being vegetarian? I don't get it. Seriously.

I'll never understand these psuedo-vegetarians.

No comments:

Post a Comment