Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The Day I Talk About Helping Strangers

I was on my way home from dinner with Wang Hao today and I helped a cerebral palsy guy onto the MRT. Contrary to my misconceptions about the majority of Singaporeans, the people around me actually gave way to the wheelchair-bound man while boarding the train. I guess that for every rude and discourteous piece of shit out there, there is somebody with a heart.

Helping that man onto the train sent my mind into deep thought about helping people who need it. I realized that for too long I've been absorbed in my own selfish needs and wants, and I haven't been giving as much as I used to.

Coincidentally, Wang Hao and I were just talking about getting involved in community work again once we got out of the army. It's been long overdue and I think it's time I started giving back again.

No comments:

Post a Comment