Saturday, June 30, 2007

The Day I Talk About My Airborne Experience

I'VE FINALLY JUMPED!!!

After living through the long, harrowing waiting hours in the aircraft hanger that followed with the feeling of disappointment when our jumps were cancelled, we finally made our first jump on Thursday. A total of 4 jumps were made over Thursday and Friday. Even though it was tiring (think walking about 2km with a really heavy load), the experience was unforgettable.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The MC1-1C Parachute that our lives were hanging on. Literally. That's not me by the way. I Googled this off the net.

Before boarding the C-130 (the aircraft we used for our first 2 jumps), I had a mental picture of my legs trembling uncontrollably when I stood at the jump door. Much to my surprise, nothing of that sort happened. Instead, I just stood at the door thinking "What the hell, let's just get over with it" and pooffft!, out I went. I can proudly say that I've rode on a slipstream before, and it's pretty damn fun!

Drifting down from the sky was very different from what I thought it would be too. I never knew how quiet it was up in the skies until then. You have the whole world to yourself for about 1 minute before reality hits you. By reality hitting you I mean hitting the ground, which still hurts even though you adopt a so-called "good landing position". But it's all worth it.

Seriously, if any of you get a chance at parachuting, DO IT! It's a once-in-a-lifetime thing that's worth every bit of sweat and pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment